More Than Just a HospitalGleneagles Hospital is the first private hospital in Singapore and is also the flagship for the 13 Gleneagles hospitals located globally.
“Gleneagles” was the name of a boarding house located along Napier Road in the 1930s. The name represents the lush surroundings and wilderness of a beautiful Scottish valley.
In the 1950s, a six-storey luxury hotel called Gleneagles Hotel was built next to the boarding house. The hotel was taken over in 1958 by the British European Association to be used as a hospital, mainly for expatriates. It was well known for providing Women’s Health services. On 8 June 1959, Gleneagles Hospital opened its doors to the public.
The former boarding house was renamed Macauley House, which was redeveloped into a 5-storey medical block in 1978. From 1979 to 1980, it expanded into a 126-bed medical centre. Parkway Holdings acquired Gleneagles Hospital on May 1987. From 1988 to 1991, 10-storey modern hospital, with a wider range of services. From 1993 to 1994, Gleneagles transformed into a full-fledged hospital with 150 medical specialists.
Located next to Singapore Botanic Gardens – Singapore’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site, Gleneagles Hospital provides the ideal healing environment for patients. The 257-bed hospital today provides a wide range of services, as well as medical and surgical specialties. By 2021, a new MRT station (Napier Station) will offer patients and families better access to Gleneagles Hospital.